Currently Reading: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl; Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
ADD YOUR TEXT HERE.

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Review: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

 Shadow and Bone
(The Grisha #1)
by Leigh Bardugo
Published:   June 5th 2012 by Henry Holt and Co.
Edition: Hardcover (358 pgs)
Source: Bought Myself

 The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, crawling with monsters that feast on human flesh, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka.

Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom’s magical elite—the Grisha. Could she be the key to unravelling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting Ravka free?

The Darkling, a creature of seductive charm and terrifying power, leader of the Grisha. If Alina is to fulfill her destiny, she must discover how to unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him.

But what of Mal, Alina’s childhood best friend? As Alina contemplates her dazzling new future, why can’t she ever quite forget him?

Glorious. Epic. Irresistible. Romance.


 Review:

I found the story interesting when I first started it. I was a little confused by who did what magic wise at the beginning but the more I read the more I figured it out. After the first action scene I couldn't stop reading it.

 The are quite a few words in Russian through out this book, which I had a hard time reading. It made me want to pronounce it, kind of understand it by what it meant. Which in turn slowed my reading for this book down. By the end of the book I was used to seeing these words so it wasn't a bother.

The setting for this book is Russian based not actually set in Russia. It takes place in a country call Ravka, which is between two other countries  that boarded it's North and South side. Through out this book you get to explore most it, if not all of Ravka. Which I happened to enjoy a lot.

Alina is the main character of this book. I enjoyed her a lot although she appears frail  at the beginning I enjoyed her personality. She kind of seemed like a smart-ass or something of that nature.

Alina and Mal grew up together and he never really acted like he thought much of her at the beginning of this book. Of course they both were just hiding feelings for each other and acting like friends. Their relationship together was kind of awkward at first.

I was soo rooting for the darkling and Alina to work out. I loved the way they interacted with each other at the beginning half of the book, much more than I did with her and Mal's relationship. Although Mal isn't a bad character for some reason I was more attracted the darkling.
As soon as things started to turn for the worst, Alina running away, I just kept wanted to see what happened next.

This book was a very entertaining read through out. I don't think the beginning was slow at all it actually made me want to find out more of the storyline. Anyways I have to say that this book has a pretty amazing adventure within it. The map at the beginning just proves my point for this. I really want to see what happens next in Seige and Storm. Which I'm gonna start reading now!


I gave this book 5 out of 5 bats.


No comments:

Post a Comment