Currently Reading: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl; Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
ADD YOUR TEXT HERE.

Monday, January 20, 2014

Review: The Pledge by Kimberly Derting

The Pledge
(The Pledge #1)
by Kimberly Derting
Format: Ebook (323 pages)
Published: November 15th 2011 by Margaret K. McElderry
Source : PulseIt
GoodReads Page

In the violent country of Ludania, the classes are strictly divided by the language they speak. The smallest transgression, like looking a member of a higher class in the eye while they are speaking their native tongue, results in immediate execution. Seventeen-year-old Charlaina has always been able to understand the languages of all classes, and she's spent her life trying to hide her secret. The only place she can really be free is the drug-fueled underground clubs where people go to shake off the oppressive rules of the world they live in. It's there that she meets a beautiful and mysterious boy named Max who speaks a language she's never heard before . . . and her secret is almost exposed.

Charlie is intensely attracted to Max, even though she can't be sure where his real loyalties lie. As the emergency drills give way to real crisis and the violence escalates, it becomes clear that Charlie is the key to something much bigger: her country's only chance for freedom from the terrible power of a deadly regime.





Review:
(Although I got to read this for free my review is still 100% honest)

When I read the synopsis of this book I thought it sounded good. I was not expecting it to be as great as it was though. At the beginning of this book your pulled into a world set in the future where this country is ruled by one queen. I also thought the beginning of this book was really messed up with what the queen does. Different classes talk in different languages and its against the law to look at anyone talking a higher language than your own.

The Setting for this book takes place in Ludania, where the queen rules everything. There is a wall circling around the city to keep out enemies but it also keeps in the people who lives within its walls. You have to have your I.D. Badge on you where ever you go so you can prove your not an outsider.

The main character is Charlania or Charlie for short. She is just trying to get by with school and working at her family restaurant except she can understand all languages. This is a very dangerous trait to have in this world. She has to hide her power from everyone including her best friends. I thought that her character was one that a lot of girls can  relate to. She is often overlooked by boys and men for her best friend Brooke.

Brooke is a very carefree flirt. She flirts with almost anyone but mostly military men. She loves attention and doesn't care what gets in her way for it. She will often leave Charlie behind to go after someone she sees. She doesn't seem like a very good friend in that way but it turns out that she is. I have mixed feelings with Brooke she says she cares about Charlie but yet at the same time she lies to her. Brooke has different personalizes through out this book.

When I first found out about Max in this book I was hooked. I was automatically was wanting Charlie to be with him!  Charlie's feelings for him are all over the place at first she was fearful of him. Then she liked him and then she was angry with him and then she liked him again. It was interesting to see how she reacted towards the certain things Max would do.

The plot thickens in this book with a resistance who want to overthrow the queen. They believe that everyone should speak one language and there should be no class system. So of course there is action in this book which helps me keep reading to find out what happens next.

I don't want to give to much away of this book. I enjoyed reading it because I didn't know what would happen next and I wanted to find out. I would say that this book was a really good read. Its diffidently worth picking up sometime.



I gave this book 4.5 out of 5 bats . (No bats were harmed in the rating of this book)

2 comments:

  1. Ooo, I'm so glad to see that you loved this book! I read it a few years ago and LOVED it! I have not had the chance to read The Essence or The Offering yet, but I intend to do so at some point. That is totally a flaw of my reading habits - I'll read a first book in the series, and then never finish the series. I need to fix that O_O

    Anyway, fantastic review, Clarisse!

    Alyssa @ The Eater of Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems I have that problem lately as well. Thanks for reading my review and commenting ! :)

      Delete