Currently Reading: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl; Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
ADD YOUR TEXT HERE.

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Novella Review: The Witch of Duva by Leigh Bardugo

 The Witch of Duva 
(The Grisha #0.5)
by Leigh Bardugo
Foramat: Ebook (43 pages)
Published June 5th 2012 by Tor
Source: Tor (click here to read yourself)

There was a time when the woods near Duva ate girls...or so the story goes. But it’s just possible that the danger may be a little bit closer to home. This story is a companion folk tale to Leigh Bardugo’s debut novel, Shadow and Bone.









 Review:
( Although I got to read this book for free my review is still 100% honest)

This story is a Ravkan folk tale from the same world as the Grisha series. I was pretty surprised as I read this with how messed up it was. It was very dark, which I actually enjoyed quite a bit.

The main character is Nadya who is actually pretty brave having to go through what she did. Her brother Havel left her with her father to go off for his military career. Their father marries what Nadya believes is a khitka.The khitkii were spiteful forest spirits, bloodthirsty and vengeful. She ends up getting lost in the woods running into a witch's hut.

I found it interesting that the witch was not the one kidnapping and eating the girls. It was a pretty good spin on original folktales, where the witch is normally evil. I diffidently enjoyed reading this folk tale set in the world of Ravka. I would say that you could read this novella before or after reading Shadow and Bone it doesn't ruin any of the original story line. If anything I think it helps understand their world a little bit more. As I said before though it is really dark not a regular folk tale.



I gave this 4 out of 5 bats.


No comments:

Post a Comment