Currently Reading: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl; Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
ADD YOUR TEXT HERE.

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Review: The Girl and the Raven by Pauline Gruber

The Girl and the Raven
by Pauline Gruber
Edition:Ebook (404 Pages)
Published December 15th 2013 by Dragonfly Ink, Ltd.
Source:For Review from NetGally
GoodReads Page

Good versus evil just got complicated.

Sixteen-year-old Lucy Walker just wants a normal life, until she learns she is half-witch, half-demon. Now she's got other problems, like keeping her demon dad from killing her boyfriend, keeping the witches in her life from killing her demon dad, and keeping her non-supernatural friends safe from both sides. All the while she’s desperately searching for the family raven that carries her magical legacy. She's walking a tightrope between good and evil, drawn to both, uncertain which she will ultimately choose. 


Review:
(Although I received this for Review my review is still 100% honest)

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It really had some twist and turns within it. I almost didn't want to stop reading it because I wanted to see what would happen next.

This story takes place mostly in Chicago and it seems like I would get lost there a lot. Of course Chicago is a big city and you get explore quite a bit of it with this book.

Lucy our main character I enjoyed a lot. She had to be tough going up with mom basically taking care of herself which anyone can admire. I really liked the fact by how shocked she was by  how high certain prices were or by how extravagant  peoples houses were, she is just like anyone else. Well except the fact that she had the  half witch and  half demon thing going on. I found it unique that she wasn't born with her witch powers but they had to be granted to her by a certain age. I don't think that I have read a book in while were you weren't born with your witch powers. I really loved reading about her demonic powers and how she started to make them stronger.

Then of course their is Marcus her upstairs neighbor who is rather hot. Although his real name is Gaberial, as soon as I found this out I thought he was an angel. Well turns out  I was wrong I was really surprised when you figure out what he really is. But besides that he is really sweet to Lucy and cares deeply about her.

The two of them together were kind of confusing though. I want them to be together but they also have their issues. I guess no relationship is perfect, but I felt like Marcus jumps to a lot of conclusions way to fast about what Lucy is doing a lot of the time. So this of course leads to quite a few fights within the book. Maybe it was because of everything that Marcus was hiding from Lucy that these fights seemed to happen so often.

Then in walks Dylan an athlete who all the girls fawn over. Of course hes cocky but he gets put in his place by Lucy a few times. At first I didn't really care for him but he turns out to be rather sweet. By the end of the book I'm liking him but not the same as Marcus. I am team Marcus for sure.

Oddly enough one of my favorite characters in this book was Jude. Jude is a demon who is evil! I think he really just want to love Lucy as his daughter. From the very beginning I believed he didn't want to hurt her but care for her. Although some of things he does in this book are rather creepy. I still enjoyed his character through out the book.

There are a lot of other characters in this book who add different vibes to it throughout. Each of them are rather semi important to what is going on in Lucy's world. There is some drama in this read but I rather enjoyed it because it wasn't to much. I also found myself having a few out loud laughs from this book.

All in all I think that this book was really good. I was impressed by its story although I found certain parts predictable. While other parts shocked or surprised me. I would say that this book is worth a read you won't be disappointed by it. If there were plans for a second book I would diffidently be waiting for that!



I gave this book 4 out of 5 bats.


No comments:

Post a Comment