Currently Reading: Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl; Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin
ADD YOUR TEXT HERE.

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Review: Branded by Keary Taylor

Branded
(Fall of Angels #1)
by Keary Taylor
 Format: Kindle (376 pgs)
 Published February 23rd 2010 by K&T Publishing
Source: Amazon 

 Jessica's had the nightmares for as long as she can remember. Nightmares of being judged for people who have died, of being branded by the angels. Her friends and family think she's a crazy because of it all. Yet she carries the mark of the condemned, seared into the back of her neck, and hides it and herself away from the world.

But when two men she can't ignore enter her life everything changes, including the nightmares. The two of them couldn't be more different. She will do anything to be with one of them. Even tell him the truth about angels, why she never sleeps, and the scar on the back of her neck. But one of the two has set events into motion what will pull her toward her own judgment and turn her into the object of her greatest fear.


Review:
(Although I got to read this book for free my review is still 100% honest)

When I jumped into this book I believed it was going to be an angel/demon book. As I continued reading it was more of just an angel book. The concept behind the angels was interesting at most. There was good "exalted " angels and bad "condemned" angels. While condemned angels were suppose to be like demons they were still just angels but sinned. This made me bored of them as I figured this out while reading the book.

The Story takes place in Washington. In a tiny town off a  Lake a couple hours from Seattle. The setting of this story mostly took place at Jessica's place though. Every once in awhile shed run to the store or something and that is all you really get to read about the town, besides the woods.

The main character Jessica I found to be very intriguing. She is 20 years old and a hermit she watched after Sal, a neighbor, who she house sitted for. I thought her character developed well through the story.

There was kind of a love triangle through out this book. Jessica and Alex kind of happened rather fast developing feelings for each other. They were also to perfect being together, but at least over a span what I think was month they said "I love you" which is better then saying it five days after meeting. I have to say though I did enjoy reading about the two of them.

Then there was Jessica and Cole. When Cole first arrived in the story I knew something was creepy about him. I didn't enjoy him from the beginning with how possessive he acted toward Jessica. He diffidently made the story-line more amusing though. I was surprised how evil Cole could really be. If I had to choose I would say I'm on Team Alex for sure.

I mostly enjoyed this book because of Jessica's dreams she had about Angels. She would have to stand at trail for the recently deceased, having to go down into hell or up to heaven. These sections of the book where repetitive until things started to change within them eventually.

All in all I would say this book was predictable at certain points, but I liked that it took Jessica a little while to figure it out, it didn't come easy for her. Also certain parts were repetitive like I said before. I mostly kept reading to find out what would happen between Alex and Jessica. Also to find out what would happen next in the book. I wouldn't say this wasn't a bad read and I'm kind of interested to read the next book in the series.

I gave this book 3 out of 5 bats.

No comments:

Post a Comment